NMAPT 2023 Conference
NMAPT 2023 Annual Conference with Sophia Ansari, LPCC RPT "Harnessing the Healing Power of Nature in Play and Expressive Therapy" and "Lets Build Together! LEGO-Based Play Therapy"
Time & Location
Apr 14, 9:00 AM MDT – Apr 15, 4:00 PM MDT
Embassy Suites by Hilton Albuquerque, 1000 Woodward Pl NE, Albuquerque, NM 87102, USA
About the event
Harnessing the Healing Power of Nature in Play and Expressive Therapy
Research has shown that there are emotional, physical, and mental health benefits of being outdoors and interacting with nature. Some benefits include regulating the nervous system, decreases in physical pain, and increasing positive emotions. This experiential workshop will explore ways to integrate nature into play therapy and the expressive arts through a variety of theoretical approaches.
Participants are asked to collect some nature items to have with them during the workshop. Suggestions of items include: leaves, feathers, shells, stones, rocks, acorns, pinecones, leaves, sticks, etc.
- Examine the research regarding the positive effects of nature on mental and physical health.
- Demonstrate play therapy techniques grounded in the therapeutic powers of play to use with children, adolescents, groups, and families.
- Demonstrate play therapy interventions that help children and families cultivate mindfulness.
- Explore cross-cultural examples of how nature-based experiences can benefit children and families with a wide range of needs.
- Explore ways to translate interventions for tele-health sessions.
- Identify 5-6 nature-based play therapy interventions that utilizes elements from nature (feathers, shells, sticks, gems, clay, sand, stones, water).
Let’s Build Together! LEGO®-Based Play Therapy
LEGO® play is universal. LEGO® models and structures have become well-recognized not only as toy models but also as art forms. LEGO® unlocks the inner architect who craves creativity, flexibility, and transformation. LEGO® can be used as a therapeutic tool in play therapy to help strengthen relationships, increase problem solving, cultivate social connection, and build resilience.
This workshop will explore the therapeutic power of LEGO® in play therapy for working with children, adolescents, and adults. Participants will gain an understanding of how to incorporate LEGO® into directive and non-directive play therapy interventions to engage clients, improve communication, problem-solving skills, conflict resolution skills, and increase self-esteem and well-being.
- Describe the history and empirical rationale of LEGO® based play therapy.
- Discuss various models which incorporate LEGO® such as Positive Psychology, LEGO® Serious Play®, and LEGO®-Based Therapy.
- Identify 5-6 play therapy interventions that incorporate LEGO®.
- Utilize LEGO® in non-directive and directive play therapy through a variety of theoretical approaches.
- Apply the use of metaphors with LEGO® in a play therapy session.
- Develop team building skills through experiential group exercises which can be applied in family and group play therapy sessions.
Each 6hr. training is approved for 6 CE live contact APT Hrs. APT provider #03-132
For Interest in Table Setup for Event Please visit:
Day 1: Training
Day 1: Lunch Break